The iPad 3 Rumor RoundupFebruary 20, 2012 | by: Chris Chang | Apple |
UPDATE 2: Purported X-ray images of iPad 3 unveiled. We received the X-ray images below from a Chinese source claiming the device in the images is an iPad 3.
UPDATE: iPad 3 front glass and power/volume buttons cable leaked.
It seems there has been a leak, a most incredible one, from a Chinese forum.
The photos were taken at Taiwan-based LCD backlight unit (BLU) maker Radiant Opto-Electronics’ plant in Wujiang city. The shots are blurry due to tight security measures in the plant. So, the photos do confirm Samsung being a screen supplier for the new iPad 3. These displays are Retina Displays, according to the poster. Also, the poster claims there are four iPad 3 devices at the plant as well.
Radiant Opto-Electronics has 4 factories, one in Taiwan, one in Nanjing, one in Guangzhou and the one you are looking at now in Wujiang. They specialize in TFT LCD screens of many sizes.
The factory in Wujiang has many clean rooms (a room pressurized with filtered air, no dust sources in the room), like the one you see in the photo below.
Please note in our previous December story that we did accurately predict a Retina Display for the new iPad.
Not to be outdone, Chinese Weiphone forums have come up with some interesting news as well.
iPad 3 Hardware Rumors
- It will have a 9.7 inch 2048×1536 Retina Display.
- Possible quad core A6, but dual core for sure.
The processing power is required for the Retina Display.
- A much improved camera, although maybe not be 8MP as production costs are high.
- The unit is about 1-1.5mm thicker depending on your model. Also it does fit inside some iPad 2 cases despite this.
- The edges are tapered, we have heard as said previously that the bezel is narrower, and we have confirmed there are volume keys.
- LTE has been tested, but the market is limited, so perhaps we will not see anything outside of 3G connectivity.
(note: there is Verizon and AT&T models confirmed for the US as before. However people have said internal builds have been around for the past couple of months. We will cross our fingers.)
- The capacity our sources have said will stay the same, at 16GB, 32GB and 64GB respectively.
Launch Date Details
We have heard from our sources that the launch date was going to be on Febuary 24th. This was to honor Steve Jobs with a product launch on this day. However, Chinese workers had at least one week’s holiday during the Chinese Lunar New Year holiday (started from January 22nd and ended on 28th), so manufacturing and supply line constraints have made that Feb 24 launch date impossible. Today, the launch date for iPad 3 is set for March 7. The Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco where Apple’s late founder Steve Jobs unveiled the iPad 2 last March is free on the day, which we feel is much more than a simple coincidence. Our inner sources have confirmed this.
One More Thing
According to one of our sources, a sub $400 device with 7-inch screen is in development. The device, excelling in iOS gaming and multimedia, will come with a tapered design seen in the iPad 3. It will be offered with a low voltage ARM processor, a powerful GPU, and a large battery. It will enter into developing nations like Brazil and China, and compete with the smaller tablets. It will have some sort of wireless keyboard that’s not efficient on power, so a low voltage ARM chip is being used. The device will get a Q4 release date, as Apple is preparing to release it in time for Christmas 2012.
Honestly, we want a smaller iPad!!!
Related Themes:Apple Tablet, iPad 2, iPad 3, Radiant Opto Electronics, Samsung
- China Mobile leaked special iPhone 6s price for customers.
- iPhone 6S Release Date, Official Presentation, Keynote.
- iPhone 6s Display + Some new Features.
- iPhone 6S - A supplier from Guangdong was found to have 74 violations.
- 4-inch iPhone 6c Cases Prototype.
- iPhone 6S Price in USA vs China and Hong Kong.
- iPhone 6c Release Date in China - November (rumor)
- Chinese Chopsticks Thief Can Steal Your Smartphone While You Are Cycling
- iPhone 6s will have something like a two day battery life.
- iPhone 6S Pink for China, Japan, Korea.